As you may know, there are several forms that cannabis concentrates can take once the THC and cannabinoids have been extracted from the flower. A rather luxurious one goes by the name of honeycomb. It gets its name from its golden and fluffy texture, and it’s a slight resemblance to the honeycombs found in beehives. Let’s take a closer look.
What are Pie Crust or Honeycomb Concentrates?
Honeycomb, or pie crust marijuana concentrates are a form of hydrocarbon extract, which simply means that the concentrates are extracted using solvents such as propane or butane. Honeycomb gets its name from its highly stable, consistency that resembles honeycomb or pie crusts. Unlike some other forms of concentrates, honeycomb is almost always made using a solvent to extract the compounds from the flower, otherwise, its signature texture could not be produced.
In terms of potency, honeycomb extracts can potentially be extremely potent. Compared to other concentrates, honeycomb is very similar to shatter, in that it can be anywhere between 60%-80% THC.
How to Use Honeycomb Extracts
So how do you use honeycomb? Well, honeycomb can be used like many other hydrocarbon extracts. That is, using a specific piece called a “dab rig.” Dab rigs are functionally very similar to conventional bongs or water pipes, yet, they include a flat bowl called a “nail” in the place of a glass bowl. Instead of putting cannabis flower in the bowl, the honeycomb ‘dab’ is placed on the nail after it’s been flash heated. The extract is then applied to the cooled, but still-hot nail, allowing the extract to be vaporized and inhaled.
Don’t be intimidated by the act of dabbing. It may be a little difficult or overwhelming for those who haven’t done it often. You may find that you need some practice in cooling the nail enough to vaporize the dab without burning it.
How to Make Honeycomb Extracts
Note: Manufacturing your own BHO extracts can be extremely dangerous and illegal if not done properly or without the necessary manufacturing licenses. In other words, don’t try this at home.
Producing honeycomb is very similar to extracting shatter. In fact, nearly every step of the process is identical except for the purging. To get that classic honeycomb texture, the manufacturer must allow the extract to purge in the vacuum chamber until it looks like a honeycomb.
Equipment and Ingredients Necessary:
- At least 1 oz of marijuana
- Butane canisters
- Extraction tubes
- A large glass dish to collect the extract
- Silkscreen material
- Hose clamps
- Parchment paper
- Razor blades
- A vacuum oven or chamber
- The manufacturer grinds all of the flower or shake that they’re going to blast.
- The stems and undesirable leaves are removed from the ground pile of marijuana.
- The extraction tubes are packed with the ground cannabis, making sure it’s tightly packed so that air bubbles aren’t present. However, it must still be loose enough that the butane can travel easily throughout.
- After it’s been packed, the manufacturer tightly places the silkscreen or sieve material over the mouth of the extraction tube and attaches it firmly using hose clamps.
- They then blast the butane through the tube, holding the tube upside down with the mouth facing downwards into a collection tray.
- This continues till all the weed in the tube is saturated by the solvent.
- Once complete, the entire pool of butane is evaporated until only the marijuana concentrate remains.
- Scrapers are then used to remove the concentrate from the dish onto a piece of parchment paper. This extract is still saturated with the solvent, and is very unhealthy to ingest.
- The parchment paper is then placed in the vacuum oven or chamber to purge the remaining solvent found in the concentrate.
- The concentrate is then kept in the vacuum chamber at 110F under pressure until the honeycomb texture is obtained.
As you can see, this is a highly technical process and can easily result in an explosion if done improperly. Manufacturers must use well-ventilated, blast-proof rooms and specialized safety equipment. That’s why it’s illegal to make solvent based extracts without a license in most cities.
Warnings and Dangers
We cannot in good conscience recommend you try making honeycomb yourself at home. Nearly all extraction methods require the use of solvents to produce the honeycomb consistency, which is highly dangerous.
Also, without the proper marijuana manufacturing licenses, extracting your own honeycomb is very illegal almost everywhere. If you’re looking to produce honeycomb at home, be mindful of the legal jeopardy these extraction methods could put you in.
While it may be something you’re interested in, extracting your own concentrates is not an amateur or hobbyist activity. The prerequisite equipment and licenses can be very expensive to acquire, and cutting corners can put yourself in legal or physical jeopardy. You will find it’s both cheaper and simpler to obtain your own honeycomb at the nearest dispensary or from a weed subscription box.
How to Find and Buy Honeycomb
Unlike other more common concentrates, honeycomb may be more difficult to find. It’s an extract on the higher end, so some pot shops may not have many honeycomb options in their inventories.
Keep in mind that you may need a medical marijuana license to purchase honeycomb, depending on the laws regarding marijuana in your state.
That about wraps it up: the Nugg guide to honeycomb extract. If you do need a medical marijuana license to purchase honeycomb in your state, you’re in luck! With NuggMD, you can connect with a state-licensed marijuana doctor and receive a recommendation for medical use without even leaving your home. Sign up today!